Sunday, January 15

Tintinnabulation: A Paris Debut

One may wonder how a non-organist such as myself was granted the opportunity to travel with the Luther College organ seminar this January term. It was not my organ appreciation or my page turning skills that allowed me a spot on the trip--it was my solo handbell ringing abilities. Since the spring of 2010, Dr. Peterson has been in contact with Fred Gramann of the American Church in Paris. Fred is a renowned organist and composer of handbell music. During the Luther Ringers concert in the spring of 2010, the ringers performed "Change Ring Prelude on Divinum Mysterium." This piece beautifully illustrates the allusion of change ringing patterns in the opening measures. The type of sound produced by change ringing has no melody or harmony and, in fact, little musical significance given that it is based on mathematical sequence. This contemporary work gives musical credit to the origin of the handbell as it evolved from change ringing. Fred’s work is unique in that it allows you to hear the way handbell music was played in the past.
By taking this course, I was given the opportunity to work with Fred Gramann and perform a handbell solo at the American Church in Paris. This morning I performed Christine Anderson's arrangement of "Be Still, My Soul" for solo handbells. Fred Gramann accompanied my performance and it was well received by the Parisian community. The choir members and early church goers applauded my rehearsal prior to the service. I was in awe to see that listeners were brought to tears by my playing. Seeing the way my performance of handbell music touched the audience members made my own musical experience that much more wonderful. These musical moments truly feed the soul. Upon seeing and hearing my handbell skills, a pianist I was formerly introduced to asked to see the piano score. Along with her praise and thanks for my performance, Nathalia asked if she could keep the music. I happily told her to keep the music and she in turn handed me her personal card. Nathalia is a 1er prix concert pianist from the Conservatoire de Paris. She was so impressed with my performance that she wanted to accompany me in the future. If I ever consider touring Europe as a handbell soloist I am to get in touch with her. Thank you Dr. Peterson for giving me this wonderful opportunity. My Paris debut was a success!

1 comment:

  1. As a member of ACP, I can attest to her fabulous performance Sunday morning. We as a congregation were in awe. Usually, people just get an AMEN after a well performed solo of any kind, but after her performance there was applause, and plenty of it. Congratulations, Sarah on your Paris debut! We sure hope to see you again. Thank you for sharing your gift with us!

    ReplyDelete